Amazon Carousel

Friday, March 1, 2013

Heaven's Night by Harry Aderton

Bear with me as I try a new review format today! Instead of just copying and pasting from my goodreads review, let's see if I can't give you a little more information.


Heaven's Night by Harry Aderton
Publisher: Aderton Prime LLC
Publication Date: March 1, 2013
Formats: Hardcover and Kindle
Length: 496 pages
Genre: Fantasy
Source for this review: Netgalley


Synopsis: When Lucifer challenges the throne of God, it ignites a decades-long war that devastates the serenity of the Heavens. With an arsenal of demonic fallen angels at his side, Lucifer's march to satanic glory seems imminent.

Archangel Sariel has other plans.

Join acclaimed author Harry Aderton as he takes you on an incredible journey from the pinnacles of heaven to the dark depths of hell. The heroic soul of Sariel is put to the test as he battles fierce warriors in his quest for love and the resurrection of the Heaven he knew.

This addictive novel combines a complex blend of action and passion with the age-old debate of obeying your heart or your duty. Follow the intricate twists and turns as they lead you to the surprising and explosive climax.

Hang on - all hell is about to break loose! -amazon.com blurb

Review:

5 out of 5 Stars
First I should say that I am an atheist so I wasn't very pre-disposed towards geeking out about this book. Requesting this book I was of two minds: completely intrigued and a little put off. A long novel based on Lucifer's defection?  I thought it would be angsty and long-winded and, frankly, too religious in tone to hold my interest. I am SO happy to say I was wrong.

The story is told from the point of a view of a lesser known Archangel named Sariel. Sariel explains angelic names (Sariel, Sammael, Gabriel, Kakabel, Azazel, Michael, etc. Notice anything?) as he starts to tell his story. Sariel has a soulmate in Requel, an angel of the lower classes and she is the catalyst to get him involved in the destruction Sammael, who now calls himself Lucifer, is bringing to the lower spheres of existence.

I am not very well-versed in angel lore other than knowing vaguely the classes of angels in a sort of cut-and-dry school way: Cherubim, Serpahim, Archangel. This book explained the different classes of angels perfectly, easily, and well-integrated to the story.

And what a story it is. A story of heartache, of a family fractured, of deepest betrayal, of despair and the horrors of war, of how twisted one can be come, of hope, of faith, and most of all, of love. Truly, love conquers all. It can conquer fear, self-doubt, loneliness, heartache, betrayal, corruption.

The author seemed to weave some of the eastern philosophies as well into the story and I truly enjoyed that. It goes to highlight harmony we could have if we would only recognize it and let it happen.

This book isn't preachy. It's filled with fantasy and gruesome war scenes. And yes, it talks about faith and faith in god. But I walked away with the sense of faith in love and trust in your family members and loved ones. But most of all, I walked away with the story of two soulmates, and one who literally moved heaven for the other.

Available at Amazon.com. $2.99 for a Kindle Edition, $15.45 for hardcover at the time of this review.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a "spiritual" but not religious person, so I know how certain books can be a turn off when they get preachy. I'm glad to see that this one entertained without getting preachy. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do! There was a lot of stress on faith and god's love, but I thought it was in a way that supported the story. After all, the protag IS an archangel. Good action, pure of heart love story kind of book! :)

      Delete
  2. Great review! The cover looks absolutely amazing!

    Thanks for sharing!

    See you around blog buddy ;)

    Florentine @ Readiculously Peachy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The book did redefine demons and other lore for me! :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to connect with me! Happy reading!