Amazon Carousel

Sunday, January 18, 2015

{COYER} The Devil's Metal by Karina Halle

I currently do not have a computer. Sadly, mine went BOOM! So I'm catching up when I can with adding my reviews into goodreads and then into COYER linkies. I can access goodreads from work, but nothing else, so I will try to update there more often! :)

My first book for ReadingAssignment2015 was Karina Halle's The Devil's Metal.

Title: The Devil's Metal (Devils #1)
Author: Karina Halle
Length: 329 pages
Source: Netgalley
Published: September 2012

It’s the summer of 1974 and 21-year old Dawn Emerson has only three things she wants to do: compete one last time in the Ellensburg Rodeo, win back her ex-boyfriend Ryan, and become the best damn music journalist at Central Washington University. But all her plans are left in the dust when she’s contacted by Creem magazine to go on the road with one of her favorite groups, the up-and-coming metal band, Hybrid.

At first the assignment reads like a dream come true. Not only will Dawn land some much-needed credibility as a female music journalist, but she’ll finally get to experience life from the other side of the stage, and maybe crack the drunken, enigmatic code that is guitarist Sage Knightly. Instead, Dawn finds herself on an aging tour bus filled with ego-maniacs, band politics and a whole lot of sex, drugs and rock n’ roll. When monsters start showing up in dressing rooms and some of Sage’s groupies become increasingly strange and dangerous, Dawn discovers the band is not only going places – they’re going straight to Hell.

And Dawn has a backstage pass.

***

The Devil's Metal is the first book in a two-part New Adult Horror/Paranormal Romance and very (very!) loosely based on the author's exploits as a music journalist. Hell comes in different forms.


The Devil's Metal (Devils, #1)The Devil's Metal by Karina Halle

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Review to come! COYER Reading List #1.
**************************
I enjoyed this novel. I found the allusions to the Almost Famous a nice way to connect with the audience and quite funny. From the other reviews and buzz about this book, I was really expecting to be totally creeped out and scared, but I wasn't.

While I liked the development of the characters, from the bitch to the groupie to the guitarist to the manager, I didn't really connect with any of them and was kinda viewing it from the outside looking in.

It reminded me a bit too much of the movie and therefore didn't hold my attention at all times; I spent much of the book waiting for the twist/punch. Still, I found the book enjoyable and easy to read with a plot that kept moving forward, even if it wasn't gripping for me.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to connect with me! Happy reading!