Amazon Carousel

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

{Book Review} The Girl in 6E by A.R. Torre


Book Title: The Girl in 6E
Author: A.R. Torre
Publisher: Hachette
Publishing Date: January 21, 2014 (believe this is a newly edited, republished version)
Length: 352 pages
Source: Purchased
Book Blurb:
My life, inside this apartment is simple. It works, as long as I follow the rules.

1. Don't leave the apartment. Not in case of fire, not to mail a letter, not to run an errand. The door stays shut, and I stay inside.
2. Don't get attached to clients. I take off my clothes, I stand in front of the camera, and I perform. What they want, I give. Their secrets, I keep. Everything I tell them, is a lie.
3. Don't kill anyone. I've obeyed that rule for over three years.

My life, inside this apartment was simple, and it worked. Then, I started breaking rules.
GOODREADS | AMAZON

 Based on the chatter on the web and Facebook and book forums, I thought this book would be a  quick read, one of those ones that are all hot sweaty sex with a touch of romance and I was okay with that. I wanted something to distract from the disappointing reads I had lately and erotica sounded good. 

I should've read the blurb more carefully, but even then I don't think I would've been prepared for this book. This book took me by surprise. You probably need some background to understand my surprise. I was approved for a book in this author's trilogy (writing as Alessandra Torre for that series) from Netgalley. I borrowed the other two books preceding the third to prepare and found myself not liking book one at all. I put it down as a DNF. Call it mindset at the time, call it bi*c*iness, call it whatever, but I just wasn't into that first book and was dismayed at the thought of reading all three to get to book three. Then, I picked up The Girl in 6E. 

If you're looking for swoony romance or erotic romance with hearts and butterflies (and maybe even a touch of kinky f**ckery), this book is not for you. If you like romantic suspense, talks about fetishes, something a little dark, a little edgy, then you need to read this book. 

I don't want to give away too much so bear with me. Deanna Madden lost her innocence at 17. Oh, she's still a virgin; I'm not talking about her sexual innocence. I'm talking about her childhood. Her world came crashing down around her. She now poses as Jessica Reilly, with full identification and everything, earning her living without ever leaving her house. She's an internet video camera star; she has cybersex with strangers for $6.99/minute. Like the movie The Net, she never leaves her house, no one ever sees her, she simply orders everything to do with her life off the web. Psychiatry sessions? Skype. Food? Jenny Craig or the like. Books, movies, sex toys, clothing? Hello, Amazon Prime. 

She meets some interesting characters in her career. She has to block some from time to time. And then this guy shows up and she is sure that his fantasies will be realities if she doesn't figure out who he is and put a stop to him. 

I was surprised at the amount of sympathy I had for this woman who keeps daydreaming about killing people. I mean, who hasn't daydreamed about killing someone, right? But her daydreams are much more violent and vivid than is normal. You know she must be lonely, you know she's fighting depression and other issues, you know she's hiding behind her persona. She is sympathy inducing.

What is different about this thriller is that you know who the predator from the beginning. Creepster being creepy is from the start. What you don't know is how Deanna/Jessica is going to handle it. 

And then there's Jeremy, the UPS man. Intrigued by this woman who only says four words to him when he delivers packages to her door, Jeremy is someone I want to learn more about. I hope there is a sequel! 

And now...I'm off to read that trilogy I abandoned. I'm beginning to think I didn't give it enough of a chance. ;) 

Get your copy at: http://bit.ly/girlin6E 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to connect with me! Happy reading!