Amazon Carousel

Sunday, December 28, 2014

{COYER Winter 2014-2015} IAM HER by Sarah Ann Walker

I Am Her... (I Am Her..., #1)I Am Her... by Sarah Ann Walker

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Okay. I really really really wanted to read this book based on the buzz I was hearing. It sounded so amazing. My Secret Santa/Elfster got it for me for Xmas and I just dove in, so excited to start. And it was intense from the get-go. You're nodding along like yeah, I get that.

And then...the twists come. And seriously...it's effed up. Which would make for an excellent book, except...

It was very repetitive. I get why; the attempt to stress how heinous this was, how mentally fucked up she is, etc., but it got to the point where, as the reader, I kept wanting to say, "I'M DONE!" and DNF it.

And then there's the grammar and punctuation. I could forgive here and there, but not every single page, not the inconsistencies from one paragraph to another, etc.

This book was torture to get through. I could barely sympathize with the main character because of her internal monologues. Her childhood was horrifying and utterly disgusting, and I understand what it did to her. In that way, this book was fairly good: The horror is palpable when she begins to remember what happened, when her triggers are recognized, etc.

I think a healthy dose of edits to get rid of the extreme repetition, to strengthen word choice and sentence structure, and this would easily hit 3.5/4 stars. For me, it was a miss, and about 1.5 Rounded up to 2.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to connect with me! Happy reading!