Amazon Carousel

Sunday, January 12, 2014

{Book Review} ONE NIGHT WITH HIM by K.S. Smith

One Night with Him
by K.S. Smith

Reagan Larson has been dealt her fair share of tragedy, but each time she has come out on top. Her heart is callused, but she still has hope. She may be the last one of her sorority sisters to still be single, but she knows Mr. Right is out there. Reagan is ready to move forward with her life when the time is right, or so she thinks, unfortunately when love is staring her straight in the face she keeps finding ways to hide from it.

The last thing Cole Conrad is looking for is commitment. He is set in his bachelor ways and has no intentions of leaving them. Having any woman he desires at his fingertips is how he has always lived. Cole is used to playing by his rules, until he meets Reagan Larson, and for the first time -after what had to have been one of his most fulfilling evenings with a woman- he wakes up feeling alone and used.




Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book to read and review. No compensation was offered or accepted. The following is my honest opinion.

I had no idea what I was signing up for with this book. It was offered as a read and review from the author, a new to me author, and I jumped on the opportunity because I love discovering new-to-me authors! This was the first time I’ve ever agreed to read a book where I’ve never seen a cover or a blurb and therefore knew NOTHING about it. Nothing. 

We agreed upon a timeframe, I got an email, I added the file to my kindle, I saw the cover and said, “Ah, so it’s a sexy romance! Sexy cover! Provocative title. Nice!” And then I went about finishing the book I was reading and started to queue up the next one in my TBR for blog commitments. Looked at the cover again, decided to take a quick peek at the first chapter and see how it plays out.

The plot is really nothing new: hard-working girl with tragedy in her past meets Mr Hot to Trot, has a one night stand, turns out he’s in her social circle, he’s rich as hell, they fall in love, they kinda break up over a misunderstanding, scary thing happens, HEA, choir of angels sing in the background.

But ya knowjust because it isn’t something new, doesn’t mean I wasn’t entertained!

While Cole & Reagan’s relationship played out, I think what I enjoyed the most was the friendship between Reagan and her best friend, Addison. I love their interactions and found them sweet and funny and reminiscent of how I can get with my own best friend. Addison is marrying Casey, Cole’s cousin. Of courseReagan had no idea that GQ was Casey’s cousin; she gets that little shock at the rehearsal dinner! As the story progresses between Cole & Reagan, you truly see the strength of the friendship Reagan & Addison share, which was forged over a lifetime of friendship.

A couple hiccups-- The time frame of the plot was rolling along nicely. This wasn’t a wham-bam-thank you ma’am-omfg I love you now story. Sure, they started off lustfully and it did move quickly, but within the story time is passing: a couple weeks, a couple months, five months, and then incident happens, more time passes, etc. The only problem I had with the timeline is after The Event (which comes long after the Incident). The Event happens at Thanksgiving, but by New Year’s there’s some skiing going on. Sorry, no. You wouldn’t be healed and well enough to go tackle some slopes. The other issues were frequent misuse of apostrophes when the author wants a plural. No, my own grammar is not perfect, but I’m not a writer either. =P I am a reader, however, and those things tend to knock me out of the haze that is Reader Zone. I like being in Reader Zone. I dislike being knocked out of it.

Despite those little hiccups, I did enjoy this romance. The characters, both Cole & Reagan, were quite immature at times with their reactions and words, but they are only 27 & 29 years old. Some people mature later than others! But I did like their interactions and flirty conversations; there could have been a lot more of those and I would not have complained. It’s those little conversations that make romances sweet/sassy/sexy.

Thank you very much to the author for the opportunity to read this book. I enjoyed how it ended (happily!) and would definitely read more about these two couples and their lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to connect with me! Happy reading!