Amazon Carousel

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Dracian Legacy by Priya Kanaparti

Dracian Legacy by Priya Kanaparti
Publisher: self-published
Publishing Date: February 2013
Length: 392 pages
Editions: Kindle, Paperback
Genre: YA paranormal romance
Source: Purchased

Synopsis: Ren and Axel are caught between two powerful magical races: one destined to end the bloodshed, the other out for vengeance.

Seventeen-year-old Ren Pernell is prophesied to end the war between the Dracians and the Telalians. So when a Dracian, Axel Knight, is sent to find and bring back the prophesied one before she turns eighteen and Telalians discover of her existence, unexpected sparks start to fly between the two. Once Ren finds the truth behind Axel’s arrival, she wants everything to do with him and nothing to do with his mission.

Things prove to become difficult as Ren’s life is constantly threatened by the Goarders, humans who sold their souls, a Proxy Succubi, and the leader of the Telalians, who has been searching for her as well.

With the clock ticking and Ren’s life in jeopardy, it is no longer just a mission for Axel. It becomes a personal endeavor to save the only one he’s ever loved. In a heart racing ending, they must find a way to evade the preordained war that won’t also end Ren’s life.


Review:
4 out of 5 stars

Aldkjfalkfl;aslfasdl;fjl;kdfj cliffhangers. I hate them, I love them, I hate them, I love them.

I really enjoyed this book. Sweet romance, witty banter, steamy kissing, good action scenes when you get them. Priya Kanaparti’s characters have depth, even in just a few lines of description, even the minor characters. They come across as REAL and multi-faceted as opposed to flat or forced. This makes the book more enjoyable and more believable. It keeps me in my happy little reader zone.

I know a lot of people will be pooh-poohing the love at first sight, quickly head over heels in love relationship that Axel and Ren have, but I didn’t. It was nice not to have a long, drawn out discovery of love phase. And it was nice to see someone (Axel) so respectful towards the girl he loves, showering her with words of affection.

I’m not really a fan of the love triangle in ANY book. I think unrequited love sucks, but I was okay with the triangle in this book because unlike others I’ve read, I wasn’t torn between the two choices. There is a CLEAR better choice here. I did not like Dean at all. I’m sure younger readers (you know, the target audience instead of me the 30 something) will do a Team Dean vs Team Axel bit. But here’s the thing: Dean treats Ren like crap. His emotional response to rejection is anger and violence, and yes it IS explained later why he would be so volatile, but really, girls, you want an Axel. You want the one that puts you above all others including himself. Dean’s responses, even after it’s explained about his role, make me nervous for the future books. Someone that jealous, when hurt, tends to make the wrong decision that will bite them in the ass later and hurt the one they supposedly love.

There is magic in this book and it was lovely. Not a shapeshifter or a vampire or fallen angel in sight. I do wish we had more than the basic lesson on Telalian and Dracian hierarchy, history, abilities, etc., but I liked how the author trickled the information to you. More realistic than a long lecture of information that we aren't going to retain and will have to flip back to read again. The conversations of the characters, inflection of voices (sneers, whispers, snide/snarky remarks), and vocabulary choice were nearly perfect for this age group – it shouts intelligent teenagers talking. There were a few instances where I stumbled because it seemed too lecture-y or stoic, but overall I felt it flowed nicely.

There was a bit of plot jumping without anything indicating that we WERE moving. A tad disjointed, but I was so enjoying Ren & Axel that I didn’t care. Ren does seem to take everything she’s told in stride, instead of freaking out. This seems a bit unrealistic to me, but I would be MORE annoyed with a teenage hissyfit where she goes from calm to raging. I accepted her acceptance because she is so pulled towards Axel, so drawn to him, and her gut says to trust him.

I’m trying hard to write this without giving away anything. I hate spoilers so I can’t really rant and rave about each little bit as much as I want to. Suffice to say that Ms Kanaparti kept me up way past my bed time (it’s 3:45am EST as I write this, saving to post later!) with a story that was intriguing, romantic, enjoyable, action-packed, and then she left us with a damned cliffhanger. :P

You can purchase this from amazon.com (kindle or paperback). Spend the $3 for your kindle. Enjoy Ren & Axel, learn about this other race of humans, and come join me while I wait for the second book to be written!

Edit: I tried to make that hyperlink work and to link the picture to the amazon page, but blogger is giving me grief. It could be me being sleep deprived. Sooooo copy and paste this: http://www.amazon.com/Dracian-Legacy-ebook/dp/B00BFECT1I/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1362738092&sr=8-2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to connect with me! Happy reading!