Amazon Carousel

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Ruhroh...

I'm reading a few books at the same time. I never would have done this in years past as I preferred to give my undivided attention to the one that I'm reading, but now I like doing this from time to time. Certain books just tend to fit your mood better, wouldn't you say?
I'm on goodreads and you can find me there at goodreads.com/a_tiffyfit ! I don't always add updates with commentary, but I will review the books when I'm finished! Tom Barry was hosting a giveaway for his book When the Siren Calls and you could get a free electronic copy of his book through the link he provided to NetGalley! So that is how I discovered NetGalley. I made several requests and have been approved for four so far, including his, and am enjoying it immensely! 

I am about 50% through When the Siren Calls, and am still reading the book from my first post, Yamada Monogatari: Demon Hunter, and have on dock, The Archived and The Talisman of El. Peeked at The Archived and am so excited to get reading it. I also read the first little bit of The Talisman of El and HOLY WOW what an opening! xD  

My to-read list keeps growing longer and longer! That makes me absurdly happy. I am not a writer, I am a reader, and nothing could be more promising than a bunch of books just waiting to share their worlds with me! It is escapism at its finest and I love every moment of it. 

I may be in my thirties, but I truly enjoy the Young Adult genre. I suppose you could say it was because I so enjoyed Harry Potter, but really I think it stemmed from my dad reading me J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and  The Lord of the Rings to me as small child. I received my own copy of the books for Christmas when I was twelve years old to reread at my leisure. I reread them every year for a good long while and still will circle back to them. 

In case you were wondering what I enjoy reading, I'll tell you! I tend to go on genre kicks. For a while it might be nothing but historical romance, followed by a period of classics such as Austen or Bronte or Shakespeare or Milton, etc., (I was an English major!). For the last few years, I can't seem to get out of the urban fantasy, fantasy, and paranormal genre! Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series is great, but so far my favorite book of hers is The Hob's Bargain. Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong, Brandon Sanderson, Anne Bishop, George R.R. Martin, etc. 

I suppose I like the same movies-wise as well. I don't want to watch anything that is based in reality, I want to be entertained for my few hours of escapism! Action, comedy, drama, animation! I am not usually a fan of movies being made from books I adored. I find that once I've seen it, I have a hard time re-envisioning the look and voice of the character in my head and am instead stuck with that actor's portrayal. That isn't to say I won't watch them! I loved Peter Jackson's take on "The Lord of the Rings" and the Harry Potter movies! 

What are some of your favorite books? Do you notice that your movie preferences align with book preferences? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to connect with me! Happy reading!