Amazon Carousel

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Book Review: HEAVY METAL by Natalie J Damschroder


Heavy Metal, Goddesses Rising Book #2
by Natalie J Damschroder
Entangled Publishing
August 27, 2013
Length: 400 pages
Edition: kindle & paperback
Source: From the publisher for an honest review

The world is not what Riley Kordek imagined. On the run from those who’ve targeted her, all Riley wants is a chance to figure out her new ability to bend metal's energy. When a hot guy who knows more than he should helps her escape her attackers, she thinks she might’ve found someone who can lead her to the answers she needs.

Three years ago, Sam Remington walked away from his employer and the woman he loved, and now, all he’s looking to do is fill the gaping hole left behind. Except, when Sam takes Riley to the Society for Goddess Education and Defense, the stakes rise beyond what either of them could have imagined.

After being alone for so long, falling for Sam would be far too easy—and far too painful, once his old flame calls needing his help. Worse, Riley uncovers a plot with disastrous ramifications not only for herself, but for Sam and the people he loves—and potentially every goddess in the country.




A_TiffyFit's Review: One of the things that I like best about my kindle is that I CAN'T flip the book to re-read the synopsis when I am reading a book. I find myself pleasantly surprised, more often than not, as I'm reading by how much I am enjoying the book. My kindle is also breaking me from my cover habit. I DO judge books by their covers: the covers are what draws me in to pick it up and flip it over and read the blurb. This cover did exactly the same thing. *Fans face* Mmmm paranormal romance, hot body, why is his hand smoking?!

This was an unexpected delicious read from Entangled Publishing, one of my favorite publishers in their many hats (Covet, Bliss, Teen, Indulgence, Edge, etc). Unexpected because I wasn't expecting the offer to read it!

Now, I have not read book 1 in the Goddesses Rising series, but luckily I did not have to. The history of Sam (and Quinn and Nick) are nicely summarized for you in the course of the story. I liked Riley; she's feisty and strong enough to look for help when she needs it. The attraction between her and Sam is subtle, but intense at the same time. The plot moved steadily forward and the ending leaves you wanting more. This is not a cliffhanger ending, but the main plot threads are ready to be continued!

I did want to know more of the history of the goddesses so I will be picking up book one. There is some explanation, but not full enough in this book to satisfy me! I'm insatiable, what can I say? I found the powers to be interesting and look forward to Riley discovering more of her powers now that the immediate threat is at an end and she can test with someone like Quinn. At least...I hope that is what lies in store further in the series; Riley & Sam making an appearance like Nick & Quinn in this one!

A thoroughly enjoyable quick-read paranormal romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to connect with me! Happy reading!